Believe it or not, SEO backlinking can be a highly technical process that is usually performed by a professional. Most average website builders do not have any success when building websites because they neglect to see the importance of SEO backlinking.
What can SEO backlinking do for your WordPress website?
Backilinking gets you ranked! Its a fact and I am living proof! Of course you will have to find a niche to target, however once you have done this and have a clear path to travel, you will be on the road to great success.
I have been experimenting with some of my websites to confirm why I am getting number one rankings for any website I work on. It is ALL coming down to SEO. Why didn’t someone just tell me this in the first place!
Previously I have written a number of detailed posts about my top Onpage SEO techniques and SEO Plugins you will need, however this is about SEO from the outside. SEO backlinking is absolutely, without a doubt the number one thing you must do to get the rankings and traffic you want.
The importance of SEO backlinking?
You probably don’t actually realize how important SEO back linking is. People fail to grasp the idea of what a keyword is and what it can do to your website. The keywords that you rank for can make or break your website. It is really hard to explain this and it takes a long time to learn, however I have a real life examples for you below.
I have a small example case study about my SEO baclinking efforts.
This is a true story about a mistake I made in my SEO backlinking efforts. I wanted to build backlinks to an article I have. It ranks well for such terms as ” computer has a black screen”, “black screen on my computer” etc etc. I made a mistake and while doing my SEO backlinking I decided to shorten the linking to simply “black screen”. I really wasn’t thinking at the time and the links were in a few articles published on other websites. “How much could that possibly affect me?” Ahh well it did. I immediately started ranking well for the words “black screen” ….But what kind of black screen were these people looking for? I was now bringing in non-targeted visitors to my top article. In one foul swoop the junk traffic from the keywords “black screen” ruined my conversions on that page.
I did not realize that it would be that easy to do. When I realized this I went back and changed the anchor text in the links to something more targeted! How could I be so stupid? Now my article is on the road to recovery!
Where do I start with SEO backlinking?
#2. Make your SEO backlinking plan. I have written about this in detail in one of my guest posts on Maxblogpress.com. Please see these backlinking tactics which include my back linking plan.
#3. The next thing to do is start building backlinks that are easy to get and are free. The first place I would start is a place that gives you great link value, gets crawled often, and has a large traffic base. This could be on any of the following websites listed below. Another great way is to write a guest post and submit to an authority site in your niche. Also commenting on other websites that have Commentluv installed is a great way to get a backlink.
Websites where you can get easy backlinks:
- Squidoo: Make a Squidoo page that contains backlinks to your website. Here is an example of a Squidoo page relating to WordPress Website tips. Although this has turned out to be nofollow it still carries some weight.
- Hub pages: Make a related page and point the backlinks back to your website. Also nofollow but still useful.
- Blogger: Of course Google owns Blogger and I would guess that they crawl it often. If you put good content on Blogger you will be rewarded. I personally love this option as the link juice is great!
- Tumbler: Another blog style website that has become amazingly popular!
- Ezine Articles: Yes Ezine articles still count as one of the best SEO backlinking strategies. I am still submitting articles there (2011 Nov) and always see a benefit. If it is not working for you then maybe you are doing something wrong?
- Youtube: This has proved great for traffic but you can get a link in the description of the video. When Youtube gets crawled your website will be seen. Unfortunately this link is “nofollow” but it is still very powerful. I often use Youtube to improve rankings and get targeted traffic for my websites. When you become a Youtube partner you get dofollow links on your channel page. This is handy for me as I have a PR 6 Youtube channel page. http://youtube.com/user/computerbasics
- Your own websites: If you have your own webhosting with unlimited bandwidth and space, you can install more than one website. I often have hosting with Hostgator and have about 15-20 websites on one hosting account. I can use these websites for backlinking purposes for my main websites. Then later, these websites grow up and get promoted to a main website. Before you know it, you have built another website providing you with income.
- Check out your competitors backlinks. We used to do this in Yahoo explorer but now we use a Yahoo site explorer alternative.
Some people call this a link wheel but I just consider anything pointing to your website as a backlink. Make sure when posting an article or submitting a video you consider SEO and fill in your tags and descriptions correctly. Also it is to your advantage to provide top content everywhere you go.
#4. The next SEO backlinking tactic is to Social Bookmark all of the pages that hold your links. This includes the articles you have published on Ezine articles, videos uploaded to Youtube, and so on. The importance of this kind of backlinking is slowing losing it’s juice but it does get your website found by the search engines. You should not just do bookmarking as your sole SEO backlinking, it must be a mix of all types of back links.
I could go on forever about how and where to get backlinks to your website. I could mention RSS feeds, pinging, buying link packages, getting links in directories, and so on. The main thing is that you actually take the time to do some SEO backlinking and treat this task as a number one priority when building your WordPress websites. Here’s some more food for thought, 18 link building techniques.
I guess you are wondering how you could possibly get time to do all of this backlinking and writing content? I never said that building websites was a quick and easy job, as you can see when you look at my daily blogging routine. Seriously, you need to do SEO backlinking to secure your place in the search engines, unless of course, you would prefer to pay for traffic.