If you would like to know how to blog, then you have come to the right place. I call my blogs websites though, as you just cannot teach an old dog new tricks. Yes I am up with using a blog content management system on my websites, but no I do not like calling them blogs. Anyway in this article I would like to share my tips on how to blog. To some this might mean simply publishing a blog post, but I feel there is so much more to blogging in a successful manner.
What is a Blog?
Back in the old days (from where I originate) a website was a place where a business or individual could publish content to share with the world. This required a lot of geeky coding and was not for the non technical people out there. Building a website used to cost big dollars, but then blogs came along. Blogs were free to build and use. They used a blogging content management system that was easy to use which meant non technical people could build a blog. Blogs were so popular, namely blogger.com and WordPress.com that the WordPress content management system started to be used on real websites. It was just easier to manage a website using this software as it allowed a webmaster to enable amazing features without the technical know-how. With WordPress you can change a website theme at the push of a button, install a plug-in that will add an amazing features to your site, and you will organise your content to make it easier for the reader to find what they want.
A blog (web log)) is a discussion or informational site published on the World Wide Web and consisting of discrete entries (“posts”) typically displayed in reverse chronological order (the most recent post appears first). Source.
Blogs have evolved into a world wide business and to create a website using any other software is just a stupid business move (that is my opinion). Why make things difficult when they do not have to be. Anyone can build a WordPress website from scratch within minutes, because if you buy the right website hosting, it is a simple press of a button.
Blog website, website blog. Who cares now?
79 Ultimate Blogging Tips – How To Blog (Now 87)
Creating a successful blog or website is a big job that can take months or years to complete, depending on the magnitude of your intended site. I personally go for big sites with loads of great content. I like to create a real asset and I call my sites “virtual real-estate”.
Here are 87 tips on how to blog. We are aiming for 101 tips.
- The tips provided below are PRICELESS, nonetheless worthless if not taken action upon! DiTesco tip from iBlogZone.
- Most people know that if you have a passion for your topic you will jump out of bed every morning with true enthusiasm.
- Choose a main topic, then drill down to a more focused topic. This website is about building websites to make money. Simple.
- Blog about information that your reader wants to see. Write for the humans not the search engines.
- Never forget that the key to a successful blog or website is to engage your audience.
- Do not just publish content for the sake of it. Make sure it belongs within your blog topic.
- Make everything related, your content, your categories, your pictures all fall within a main topic. This is what helps create a successful WordPress website.
- Do not stray off topic because you think the grass is greener on the other side. It is not!
- Buy web hosting and a domain name so you are in control of your own blog.
- Use WordPress to manage your content on your own hosting. This is a no brainer.
- Setup WordPress correctly in the first place. Customize settings before you launch!
- Create your blog categories from a list you plan, do not make them on the fly.
- Choose your important main topics for your static pages.
- Don’t go crazy on tags, plan them and choose at least two relevant ones for each post.
- Create a clear contact page and an awesome about page.
The Layout of Your Site
- Where do people expect a navigation for a website to be? Why make it difficult.
- A minimalist WordPress theme is all you need to let your content shine.
- Your website layout can affect your traffic so keep it simple for the humans.
- Considering your user experience, choose a premium WordPress theme accordingly. Free themes have no support.
- Include an optin box in a prominent place to build a list from day one.
Get Ready for Criticism
- When your content goes public you will be open to all comments and opinions.
- You can delete comments on your own blog but not on other sites so get ready.
- Be prepared to be abused, called an idiot, a douche, called wrong, and more. See how I (Mitz) cop the criticisms on Yahoo Small Business Advisor but the same article on B2 community got praised.
- Do not let the fear of being criticised stop you from publishing what you are good at.
- Do not let this fear form your opinions.
- Set up social media accounts for each website you create. See my social media checklist.
- Add social media buttons and icons to your site to enable sharing.
- Brand your social pages with your logo, tag line and more. Match them up.
- Hook up some auto sharing options for your blog. EG. Tweet old posts plugin.
- Schedule social promotions and make them hands off. Try Hootsuite as it is the best social media manager.
- Do not try to be everywhere at the same time. Choose your one or two main social sites and concentrate on them.
- Remember that social media will expose you to the world and you may not have total control over the feedback you receive.
Education About How To Blog
- Choose at least two mentors that comply with your standards and follow them. Any more than that and you are wasting your time.
- Buy tools to improve your business not courses you will not complete. If you must choose a course try Google Sniper. It is down to earth and shows a true way to become successful in blogging.
- Change your strategies with the times, evolving into new ways. Technology moves fast and we need to ride the wave.
- Follow (OP) other people’s strategies and learn from their mistakes and successes.
- Learn what you need to know, not everything that is placed in front of you.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of making connections with influencers and peers in your niche. Ileane from Basic Blog Tips.
- Building relationships can lead to more social, more SEO, more collaborations, more traffic.
- Build authority; do not just build a blog. Blogging is Dumb.
- Build an authority website that becomes a real asset to sell.
Content is Mostly King
- You must realise that quality content is very important when blogging and nothing but the best will do.
- Great content alone does automatically equal success. That is one of the main factors.
- Content not only includes text, it also includes video, pictures, pod casts, and more.
- All quality content is valuable if is appreciated by its readers or viewers.
- Copying someone else’s content in full is bad etiquette. Quoting them and leaving an attribution link is good etiquette.
- Brief content is only okay if you have covered your topic. For example a video tutorial along with a 100 word description can rank well in the search engines.
- Publish content at a regular pace as the search engines love fresh content.
- If you cannot keep up with fresh content, do you really want to create a successful blog?
- Publish your posts on your WordPress blog correctly.
- Never use of free blog for a serious business. You need to own your content.
- Never publish unfinished or not up to standard posts.
- Always schedule posts in advance just in case you cannot find time to publish.
- Evergreen content should be your main concern. This is content that will stand the test of time.
How to Blog For Business – It’s Different
- Publish content that your customers would appreciate, not your business colleagues.
- Always include all contact details on your blog so you look like a legitimate business.
- Do not post boring content about the technical side of your business.
- Do not allow someone from the tech department manage the content on your site. Use someone that knows what your customers want to see.
Regular Maintenance and Security
- Install spam protection. I use Commentluv Premium as it has amazing protection.
- WordPress website maintenance is just as important as computer maintenance.
- The first step to security is having an exceptional password and locking down your site with too many attempts. See simple login lockdown.
- There are many aspects to WordPress website security. You wil need to learn about it all.
- Keep all plugins, themes, and WordPress updated as not updating leaves your blog open for attacks.
SEO Blogging Tips
- If you want your site’s content to be listed in the search engines then you need to use search engine optimisation.
- SEO is not all about Google, write for your readers and please them first.
- You can ignore SEO but you will be saying goodbye to extra free traffic.
- Obvious SEO alone can be ugly so if it feels wrong then don’t do it.
- Search engine optimisation is a skill that develops over time with experience. You must learn you own ways.
- Offpage SEO is just as important as onpage SEO.
- Link building can bring traffic directly to your site and does not always mean you have to rank to get a bit.
- Always perform onpage SEO for all content. Then do more SEO for proven money making pages.
- Do not participate in shady SEO strategies.
Monetizing Your Site
- Monetize your website now! Do not generate good traffic that leads nowhere for no purpose.
- Put in a call to action or goal for each page! If you do not have this then how can you make money?
- Treat each page and post as its own precise topic when monetizing.
- Track your sales from the beginning.
- When have a proven money making page, tweak it, test it, promote it. Do not let it die.
- Start creating your own products ASAP, even if you only create an eBook to sell on your site.
- Create content that drives conversions. Most bloggers don’t truly know who is engaging with what posts, which posts have higher sharability than others, which ones are driving people to convert more so than others. Understand this and your content will improve 10 fold. This tip is from Dan Norris. Check out Dan’s Ultimate Guide to Creating Content that Converts.
Traffic – How to Blog
- Never underestimate the power of traffic, not the quantity but the quality.
- More traffic does not always equal more money.
- You need targeted traffic, junk traffic brings your conversions down.
- Catch and engage your traffic when you get it. Do not let them leave without a way to return.
- Getting traffic is not a rocket science but it is hard work.
- Concentrate on one traffic method at a time; automate it and then move on to another. See Ana’s traffic report.
- Never put your eggs into one basket when it comes to traffic. Especially not just the Google traffic basket.
Share Your How to Blog Tips
You can also download this article as a PDF file 79 Ultimate Blogging Tips (the PDF has extra tips)
|Mitz Pantic from Lets Build Websites||Ana Hoffman from Traffic Generation Cafe|
|Ileane Smith from Basic Blog Tips||Dan Norris from Informly|
|DiTesco from iBlogZone|
Please help me add to this list and share your best tips on how to blog below. 🙂
If your tip stands out I will add it to the Ultimate blogging tips PDF and this post above.