If you are just about to publish a fantastic blog post that took you hours and hours to create, there is no doubt that you need eye-catching blog post titles to gain the most exposure. Readers skim through titles of articles and blog posts to see which one catches their eye; you know this is true because you probably do it as well.
A blog post title that is boring will get passed by and the awesome content that took hours to create slips off into nowhere land.
Why are blog titles so important?
They are important because this is what the human reader sees before visiting your content. Just think how you search for information? You scan through the results fast until you find something that grabs your attention. If there is nothing there you try another search. This is how SEO works under the hood of our websites as we should just be thinking about how the humans will find our content.
The readers see blog titles:
- In the search engines
- In RSS feeds
- In social media sharing
- On the front page of most blogs
- On Commentluv links
Search engine traffic is free so why not grab it if you can?
It would be great if we could put a big arrow pointing to our blog post titles to tell people to click on it but we cannot. We have an amazing weapon in hand though and we should use it.
I really think that Google is not god in this situation because if the humans do not click on your listings, Google’s algorithm will naturally move your listing further down the rankings.
10 Tips for Creating Eye-Catching Blog Post Titles
When crafting an eye-catching article title, you are generally trying to catch a reader like you would catch a fish. Firstly you must figure out what bait you should be using to catch that fish.
You should ask yourself these questions:
- What type of information should I be providing to attract the right people to my website?
- What would the reader be typing into the search engines in order to find this information?
When you know what your content is supposed to be about you can now go ahead and create a blog post title to match.
Writing Great Blog Post Titles – 10 Tips
I love writing top 10 list posts. They just work. Therefore I will use that type of post as an example title here.
- Always set aside 10 minutes to work on your eye-catching blog title. Many people leave this to the last minute and the title simply suffers.
- Research your competitors because they might have an awesome title that will give you an idea. You can see how much one title gets shared compared to another.
- Research keywords and make a list of possible combinations that suit like “blog post title”, “article title”, “post title”. I use Google Keyword tool. You should find out which term has the least competition in the search engines and one that has people actually searching for it.
- Write out some descriptive words like ‘eye-catching”, “attention grabbing”, “gob smacking” “boring”, “cool”, “critical”, “crazy”.
- Choose how many tips you want to share. Let’s say I have 5 tips. Not always about giving tips but it is a great way to start learning how to write awesome titles.
- Mix up some titles until you see one you like.
- 5 Crazy Ways To Create Attention Grabbing Blog Post Titles
- Boring blog Post Titles SUCK! Here’s 5 Tips Steel The Lime Light From Your Competition
- Are Your Blog Titles Making Your Readers Snore? Here’s 5 Tips To Wake Them Up
- 5 Ways To Lose Precious Website Traffic With Your Lame Post Titles
- Awesome Content But Dead Boring Post Titles – 5 Tips To Fix This Stupid Mistake
- How To Write Gob Smacking Blog Post Titles and Steal Those Precious Clicks
- Are You an Idiot? Blog Titles Are Important and Here’s 5 Reasons Why
- Make sure your title is capitalised correctly. If it is not you will look like an amateur.
- When crafting your title, even though you want it to be eye-catching, you cannot sacrifice grammar and spelling for attention grabbing.
- Always write your post title for the humans because that is who you want to ultimately impress. Then if the humans are impressed, the search engines will also be happy.
- Never copy another sites post title as this is bad web-master etiquette.
The competition for your reader’s attention is more than fierce nowadays. There are so many publishers out there with equally awesome content but you have to find out how to turn your reader’s eyes to your content.
How are you going to make your blog post title stand out?
Common Mistakes With Blog Post Titles
- The main problem is dead set boring blog post titles.
- Your title is over-exaggerated.
- Your title has nothing to do with the content.
- Your blog post title is awesome and your content is crap.
- Your title promises the world and delivers crumbs.
Blog Post Titles Examples
Here are some of my most popular posts where the title has helped get the traffic.
Which blog post title do you like the best?
Can you see how having dead boring blog post titles can bring your content down?