When you start to build WordPress websites for yourself, you are then faced with a few choices on how you can make money with that skill. Today I’m going to concentrate on two of the main ways to make money if you know how to build websites in the first place.
- The first one is building websites for other people and making money.
- The next one is building websites for yourself that actually make money.
#1. Building Websites for Money
So if you choose to ‘build websites for other people’ and get paid for your work, this will essentially mean you are not building a website for yourself.
Disadvantages to Building Websites for Money
- You only get paid a set amount and when the job is done your payments are over.
- The potential of the actual website is worth far more than what you are getting paid for it.
- Once you have made the website and sold it, there is no asset to hold on to.
Advantages to Building Websites for Money
- You might not be good at making money on your own website, therefore selling websites might actually bring you some income.
- You might not be a good business person and preferred to work for other people, therefore building websites to sell and make money would be good for you.
- Some people sell one or two websites a day which can turn out to be good money.
- You can build a reputation for building awesome websites and then charge more money.
How To Make Money Building Websites for Others
It can build a few websites each day and sell them on Flippa.com but you will not get much for them. There is so much competition out there that you will need to have more value in your websites. For example a website that earns a tiny amount of money through AdSense every month gets more people interested in it and is more likely to sell. Also a website that might have an original product with it also attracts interest. A straight out the box template website does not bring in a high price.
Many people make money building niche websites and sell them but you would have to be organised to pump the websites out faster so it is all worth the effort.
Websites Get More Bids if:
- The website earns even a tiny bit of money.
- The website has an original idea.
- The website has an original product or original content.
- The website has a community of followers attached.
- An aged website that has untapped potential. (rare if you are churning out websites)
#2. Building Websites that Make Money for You
Building a WordPress website from scratch and making it successful enough to earn money is not a quick and easy task. Having said that, this is exactly what I do for a living. I build websites that make money.
Advantages to building websites that make money if you
- You are building something that will become an asset or virtual real estate.
- It is hard work in the beginning to build a website up, but later it gets easier and you work less.
- You feel free because you have no one to answer to.
- You have the potential to earn crazy amounts of money and you also are building an asset to sell.
- Learning how to make money with WordPress websites is an amazing skill to learn and will allow you to be successful in many area
- Building a successful WordPress website or blog takes time and patience.
- It is far easier to build a website from scratch than it is to actually create a website that makes money.
- Building a website that can make money requires many skills.
I have never sold a website at all. I will tell you why.
My first offer to buy Tips4pc was for $22,000 and I thought that was simply wonderful. I had built this website in my spare time, as a hobby, but now someone else thought it was pretty valuable.
You see at that stage Tips4pc was bringing in over $1,000 a month and I really had no idea what I was doing. I really did not know how to build a website that made money, it was all about luck at that time.
Anyway I thought about selling as I did not know if I could take this website any further, but luckily for me, I did not sell.
Why didn’t I sell? Well my dad said something that made me think. “You can buy a house for $300,000.00 and not get the return you are getting for basically out laying only time.” He made me think. OMG he was right!
Tips4pc went on to make $2,000, then $3,000, then $5,000 a month. Where is the limit you ask? Well to tell the truth, now that I know how to make money from a website, there is no limit to what I can make. This is a long road, but building an authority website really does pay off in the end or maybe it never ends?
So Do You Want to Build Websites To Make Money?
Interesting topic, don’t you think? Imagine if I was building websites for other people and taking money in the short term? The same website could have made me either $1000 in one shot or $1000 month after month and then some. Although I had to wait a year or two for the real decent income to flow in, the wait is definitely worth it.