April 8, 2014 at 11:43 pm #14072
This is the new day and age when you must monitor your own link profile. Just another long and tedious job to add to your list.
I have a site wide penalty for inbound links. The site has links from 2007 – 2014 so there are thousands. (not on this site)
I have done a lot of work removing links, changing anchors to raw links, requesting link removal or nofollows, and finally disavowing.
I shared a 6 sheet excel doc on google docs showing what I had done but it wasn’t enough. My reconsideration got rejected. But I did expect this.
I thought I would get a reconsideration request in asap as my site has lost ALL search traffic and that is not good for business.
Now I am going back to be more aggressive.
check these points out and share your opinion below:
1. Is the link in this article spam? http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Format-Your-PC-and-Reinstall-Windows&id=6173282 I don’t see anything wrong with promoting your site as it is a business, but how do I link to the related content without seeming spammy. I don’t want to put anchor text that doesn’t say what they are clicking on either.
2. I have thousands of natural links that other people made. Should I request them taken down if they are on unpopular sites or deserted sites? this just seems like a lot of silly work.
3. should I really ignore a link if it is nofollow? The rules might change again. ??
4. My understanding is that we should not have repetitive anchor text as it looks unnatural but what about when 10 people scrape the same article with all your internal links included? Does anyone else think that it is crazy that I have to clean this mess up now?
5. I am not feeling comfortable having to contact webmasters to remove links as it creates bad blood in the community. therefore I am disavowing straight up after seeing Matt cutts video saying “just do it”.. What is everyone else’s opinion about this? The site has to be spam or dead for me to do this.
6. So basically now I feel that I have to keep an eye on what links are made on the internet. You will have to watch people scraping your content, syndicating your content and so on…stuff that includes all of your internal links with it.. So the links you build on your own blog get reproduced on other sites. Next thing you know we will have to watch how we link on our own sites.
7. Should I nofollow all external links on my own site just to be safe?
8. I had some articles on articlebase and thought…these are harmless as the links are nofollow… but….then I realised that people were republishing them and making the links dofollow. Oh no more work for me!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.