Keyword research is the most important part of your online money making strategy. If you are targeting for the wrong keywords, your whole work can be a waste of your time. Most of the internet marketers usually stick with the free Google Adwords Keyword Planner tool. In this article I will give you a few tips about how to improve your keyword research which I have already implemented for my moneymakingideasblog.com.
Long tail keywords
When people are looking for the words like “quick money” or “small business” it is not clear what they are looking for. Although these keywords can have a lot of traffic, this is just a wrong approach, because keyword phrases like this aren’t very targeted, not to mention they are not easy to rank, because of a high competition.
Therefore, you need to aim on a long tail keyword phrases. They are more targeted and easier to rank. The problem is long tail keyword phrases don’t get a lot of traffic, but here is the simple formula: when you rank on 1st place for 10 long tail keywords which have amount of 1000 local searches, you can expect a lot of traffic, but if you are aiming to rank in top 10 for some highly competitive keyword which has 100.000 of searches, you won’t be successful. Smaller results equals bigger traffic in this case.
Don’t rely on Google’s top 10 websites and their page rank numbers
I have seen many internet marketing newbies just type the keyword in Google then measure the average page rank of the first 10 websites. This is so wrong.
Instead of that you should try the following tactics:
– Type “allintitle: your keyword phrase” in Google. Title tag is still one of the most important on-site SEO parameters. For example, we can see some keyword phrases which have a million of searches, but only hundreds or maybe a few thousand pages appear in allintitle results.
– Type ‘intitle: “your keyword phrase” inanchor: “your keyword phrase” ‘ . You will narrow your search with this easy method. When you type it into a Google search you will see how many pages have both keyword phrase in the title as well as in anchor text. This is an easy technique to narrow your search and find less competitive subniches.
Difference between Information Keywords and Buying Keywords:
You can consider long tail phrases for your products or services which have “best”, “cheap” or other similar phrases. However, you shouldn’t rely on these keywords because Google has very strict rules about “buying keywords” Information keywords, on the other hand, can be equally effective because they target users who are looking for the information.
The most comprehensive guide for keywords in anchor:
It is impossible to know exactly what kind of profile Google crawler consider natural, but roughly there are four different types of anchor keywords:
– URL variations. You should aim for 25% of this type for your anchor text.
– Buying or Information keywords, also known as Target keywords or “Salesy keywords” . This specific keywords are great for the promotion of your website, but you have to be very careful, especially after Penguin update. Websites with more than 50% of this kind of anchor, are considered to be a spam, thus penalized from the Google. The smart choice would be to aim for 20% of this type.
– Brand Name Keywords- it is your name or name of your company. The amount of this type of links should be bigger than the amount of Target keywords and URL variations, so it could be around 30%.
– Non descriptive Keywords- For better diversification of your backlinks, you should aim for 25-28% for this type of anchors. This type should outnumber target keyword and URL variations but it can’t outnumber the brand name keywords. Non descriptive anchors are usually “visit website”, “click here”, “see the article”, etc.
This would be just a few usual tips for better keywords research and keywords optimization, based on my experience for moneymakingideasblog.com . I hope it will help you to better understand the importance of keywords research and also to perform a better keyword optimization next time.
Dennis Kay is an content writer and owner of moneymakingideasblog.com where he shares his tips in the “free coaching from the scratch” section. If you want to find out more about keyword research and internet marketing in general, head over to his website and start with the Keyword Research Guide.