I actually teach people how to make WordPress websites, add content to them, and get found by the Search Engines. The biggest problem I have found is that they forget to fill in all the details when attempting to publish a post. Some beginners have been know to even forget to put a title to the post. This is a bit extreme but it has really happened!
Publish posts in your WordPress Website the correct SEO way
- You need a WordPress website. Ha ha, we all know that!
- You will need the free plugin “The all in one SEO pack”. Please see top SEO plugins.
Posting content to your WordPress website
- Write a descriptive title to your post. Try and think what people would type into the search engines for this subject. What words would be the most common. Make sure your title has at least 5 – 10 words in it..Anymore is overkill. The title is going to catch the fish so make it great! Include your keyword. Here is a great way to find keywords to use in the title.
- Fill in the body of your post. Make sure each post is over 500 words, more if possible. Visitors do not like to go to a web page with two sentences of information on it. They will leave in a second. I have my own web content strategy that helps me write top content for my websites. You should also add subtitles with your keywords throughout the post, at least one bulleted list, and some bolded keywords. Google loves good information and you will be rewarded for it. Here are a 10 Onpage SEO tips you should know.
- Fill in your tags. These are basically keywords that apply to your post and title. They are not about the website. It’s all about what’s in the post. This is how you let people know what it is about.
- Choose a category. Do not publish posts in the uncategorized section. If you do then this will show up in your category list. You should try to choose a category that relates to the post. So therefore if the person clicks on the category, they know there will be posts related to that. You WordPress website categories should be set up when building your website and you should be using (LSI) related keywords. Here is an article on how to setup WordPress categories.
- Fill in your SEO details. You might have All in one SEO pack or you might have a theme that includes this option like I have with Thesis. Also the free plugin from Yoast, WP SEO is great for keeping you on track.
Learning How to Blog in WordPress
For more information please watch the video below. Please note this is an older video and a new one is further down the page. WordPress changes often as it moves with the times so I might not use some of the options mentioned in this video. You could watch both the old one and the new one to see the difference?
I moved ALL of my websites into one amazing content management system because publishing a post in a WordPress website is just so damn easy! Yes there are a few details to follow if you really want to do the right thing, however it is just a matter of getting used to a system. You can simply add some content into the post section of WordPress dashboard and you can simply press the publish button. This is probably the easy way out.
In the video below (2013) I show you how to publish a post in a WordPress website or blog the right way. This means filling out all the details that are necessary, which includes search engine optimization, and just plain old website content etiquette. There are some unspoken rules in the world of websites such as using capital letters in the title of your post, or adding meta descriptions and SEO details behind the scenes.
Here is a quick checklist to follow when publishing a WordPress website post
- Add a title to your post that is catchy and explains what your article is about.
- Add your content into the content section.
- Create some subheadings that will stand out and allow users to jump to sections of your article.
- Add in tags which can also be called keywords.
- Add a meta description, which is the blurb that will show up in the search engines, so make it good.
- Add some links two other posts on your website that relate to your article.
- Add an outgoing link to another website if you have used their image all the information.
- Choose a category for your post.
- Monetise your content sparingly and intelligently.