Search engine Optimization can be very technical and almost impossible to understand for the average WordPress website builder. It takes a long time to grasp the whole SEO concept. I personally built my WordPress Websites almost ignoring SEO, however when I started using it, the proof was in the pudding. (Or eating the pudding as some say)
When I finally started using Search Engine Optimization on my WordPress websites the results were amazing! I thought that you could only promote an entire website for certain keywords, but eventually realized that you can actually promote each individual page if you wish. People often neglect promoting a single page on their website. For example I had a fantastic article and I was getting approximately 5 visits per day to this article. After investing a small amount of time performing search engine optimization for this Post directly, I have turned five visits into nearly 2000 visits per day. This is just for one article on a website. Of course this website has many more articles and I have done promotion for approximately 10 posts only. Can you imagine when I get around to the other 700 posts?
Not all posts are worth performing a total search engine optimization makeover. This depends on how much traffic that particular keyword is limited to. Therefore if you have done your keyword research, in theory you would only write posts that were going to attract a high search volume. This is probably the first step in search engine optimization.
What is Search Engine Optimization?
SEO is all about optimizing your website so the search engines can find you. I am no SEO expert but I definitely know how to get to the top of the Google search results for any key word that I want. It has taken me years to realize how to do this and it works every time. I do not do search engine optimization as a career because I actually only build WordPress websites for myself and this is the only reason I need to know about search engine optimization.
Onpage search engine optimization
On page SEO is all about optimising the content or the article on your website. For example you need to have the right keyword targeted in the first place, then you need to have the right keyword density scattered in the article, and then you need to have related keywords mentioned in the article. It is also recommended that you use the keyword in your title, your URL, your tags and descriptions. I might have missed a few steps here so please forgive me. You must know I use SEOPressor to keep me on the right track with Onpage SEO.
Off page search engine optimization
This is all about everything that leads back to your website. Of course it is all centered around the keywords that you chose in the first place. Basically search engine optimization is all about keywords and this is how we choose the anchor text that will link back to our website. This anchor text tells the search engines what our page is about. If you are putting the wrong anchor text out onto the Internet you are telling the search engines the wrong message.
Why do we need to do Search Engine Optimization for a WordPress Website?
People often boast about not needing search engine optimization to attract traffic to their website. I agree that there are many ways to get traffic to a website, but if you are writing an article, why not get the most traffic you can because you have already done the work. Why do blog posts on your WordPress website and rely on a few traffic sources, when you can do search engine optimization, and add a mountain more traffic to this one article?
1. If you do not do search engine optimization you are missing out on the people that searching Google and do I have to tell you how many people do this?
2. We must realize that not everyone hangs out on other blogs, nor do they hang out on social bookmarking sites. I actually happen to be one of those people. I do not like visiting other blogs unless they have information that I want as I do not want to get stuck reading and commenting when I meant to be working. Therefore I searching Google for the exact information that I want to know. When I do reach a remarkable blog I will sign up to the RSS feed and comment on the interesting articles.
3. Creating websites is all about balance. I believe that getting your traffic from all different sources is part of that balance. You must not cut off search engine optimization because you don’t know how to do it.
4. Search engine optimization will get you to the top of Google or Yahoo search and bring new traffic.
Of course there are many other reasons why you need to perform search engine optimization to your WordPress website. I would love to hear your comments below, so let me know why you think it is important?
Where do I start when doing Search Engine Optimization for my new WordPress Website?
The first step when doing search engine optimization is to learn how to do it. There are so many websites out there telling you how to do it but unfortunately they have conflicting information. Some people say that you do not need search engine optimization, however I have seen the impact it has on my websites and I would be lying if I said it didn’t make a big difference.
1. Study how to find the best keywords. This means keywords that are going to bring you quality traffic, conversions or sales, or whatever else you are looking for. If you do not get the keywords right then you might be making content for keywords that people are not interested in or are not searching for in the first place. Therefore this means that you are wasting your time and we are not here to do that. Keyword research is far more important than people think.
2. Learn how to pick the best related keywords that are going to enhance your website and bring traffic as well. These related keywords can also be used to create categories on your website.
3. Always check out your competition in the search engine results and see what you can do better.
I have no doubt that these two articles will help:
Do I have to be an expert at SEO to succeed with my WordPress Website?
No you do not need to be an expert at search engine optimization to succeed with your WordPress website! I am one of those people that never say “can’t” as “I can” do anything I put my mind to!
Search engine optimization is not that hard to learn and is a great bonus if you are building websites for a living. Everything takes time and practice. Eventually you will become an expert at anything you stick to. The first step to SEO without hiring an expert is to not expect to know it all at once.
Here is a FREE PDF report from Brian Clark from Copy Blogger called How to write compelling content for the search engines.
Please ask me some questions about search engine optimization below?