SEO keyword research is the most important part to learn when building a WordPress website. Finding the right keywords will directly affect the amount of success your website receives. If people are not searching for the keywords that you target, then you might not get traffic from the search engines. Even if you do not rely on the traffic from the search engines, you still need to know that people are interested in your keyword. This is why we need to perfect SEO keyword research.
In the early days I definitely struggled when trying to grasp what the hell keyword was? How did I pick my keyword for my whole website? This was a daunting task but I have narrowed down some steps to help you figure out what key word you want to go for. This SEO keyword research does not just apply to an entire website, it also applies to a single article that you write. After all, it is no use spending all your time writing articles when you have not researched if people want to read them or not.
Logical steps for SEO keyword research when writing an article:
- Choose a topic related to your niche.
- Dig through this topic to find long tail keywords.
- Find a keyword that fits the criteria. previously I wrote a post on how to find keywords to target in your article.
- Write an article about that keyword and include related keywords. Publish the article.
- Do a mini back linking campaign to this article targeting three or four main keywords.
Logical steps for SEO keyword research when starting a website
I use free tools to do my SEO keyword research as I believe you do not need software to research a niche.
- Choose a topic for your website, find a niche.
- Dig through this topic to find a small and niche.
- Find long tail keywords related to this niche that fit that criteria.
- Collect the related keywords that shows up in the Google keyword tool. Use them for the categories and titles for posts.
- Write five articles targeting various keywords, including related keywords, for your website.
- Always use your on page SEO techniques from the beginning. it is a lot harder to go back later and repair your mistakes with on page SEO.
Learn how to do SEO keyword research or pay for traffic
These are your simple choices. Learn how to do search engine optimization keyword research or go and pay for your traffic. Learning how to do SEO keyword research is a lot cheaper than paying for your traffic. Why not get it for free if you can? It is really not as hard as you think. All you have to do, when it comes down to it, is think like the person that is searching in Google. What would they be typing in to find your website. Along with the tools that I show you to use, it also takes common sense to do SEO keyword research correctly.
A video tutorial about ways to do SEO keyword research
In the video below I wanted to see if the words that were bringing people to my page were buying words. Then I did intend to monetize the page with a few more affiliate links. That part is missed in the video. It shows me ranking number one in Google for a certain keyword but not really making the most out of it. I was getting the traffic, which are from buying keywords, but not doing anything with it…Ouch!
That’s what happens when you have such a big website! You lose track of what’s going on.
How important do you think SEO keyword research is in your business?