When creating a successful website, we would all like to dominate Google, but Webmasters often neglect the fact that they need to use onpage SEO techniques. This may not be as important off page SEO however it does account for at least 30% of search engine traffic. Over the years I have been testing this theory and have come to the conclusion that it is extremely necessary to perform on page SEO. In some cases Onpage SEO counts for everything, because without it, no one will know what your page is about!
Please note that I will stand by these tips even after the latest Google update on May 22nd 2013.
Now the techniques I am about to show you are not secrets. This is a system of onpage SEO techniques that everyone follows. This series of onpage SEO techniques help the search engines recognize what your post is about and if it is relevant to the search results.
Top 10 onpage SEO techniques you need to know:
1. Work out what keyword you want to target. Also list some related keywords or variations to use. See this article; Find which keywords to use.
2. Create a catchy post title that includes your target keyword. Make sure it makes sense and tells the reader what the article is about.
3. Make a list of questions someone might ask when wanting to know about this topic. These are to use as subheadings so people can jump to the section they really want to read.
4. The headings should be scattered through the article and you need to use a few H2 and H3 headings. H1’s are only for titles, h2 is for subheadings.
5. Your target keyword should be included in the first sentence of the article. If it is not there then make sure you include it in your meta description. Google is still looking at these because they will give you a notice if the description is too short. Also remember that we still want to let everyone know what the actual article is about.
6. Your target keyword should also be included in the last sentence to remind people of what the article is about. Humans need reminding.
7. You should include an image within an ALT tag that includes your target keyword. When people hover the mouse over your picture they will see your target keyword appear. The ALT should also describe the image, not misrepresent it.
8. You need to mention your target keyword throughout your article. It should have a keyword density of at least 1%. Therefore if you have a 500 word article you would need to mention your keyword five times or more to get 1%. This is not much at all but it is enough. Again you have to show what your article is about. Some say keyword density is bull but let us say that if you don’t include the keyword, how does the human know what your content is about.
9. You should link to several pages internally that are related to your keyword. This means linking to the pages in on your website. These links can be followed as opposed to nofollow. Internal linking is important and if you cannot link to other content you must wonder if this new content belongs on your site?
10. If you link to external pages you should make it a nofollow link, unless you trust the site you are linking to. Always think about linking and investigate where the link leads to.
I usually put all these on page SEO techniques in place first, and then start writing the article around it. This way I am basically filling in the blanks and it makes it easy to produce content. I use LS I keyword, which are related keywords, in amongst the article and always tried to make it a natural flow of information. My aim is to answer the question or tell the full story that the title promised!
Help with onpage SEO techniques
With such a busy life and many websites, I need a helping hand when it comes to on page SEO techniques. This is why I have a plug-in called SEOpressor. I have talked about this plug-in on this website before, in various articles such as, search engine optimization plug-ins, tools that create guaranteed website success, and how I increase AdSense earnings by 500%.
As soon as I started using SEOpressor my traffic increased by 1000 unique visitors a day.of course I did my usual things to get traffic however this is the result I got when I added this plug-in and started using it. We all know how long it takes to gain 1000 visitors per day. We are not talking about 1000 visitors per month, let’s just get that clear.
How does SEOpressor help with on page SEO techniques?
Do you really want to count up your keyword density, or look for keywords and bold them or underline them? Do you really want to check if your keyword is in a H1 H2 or H3 heading? I know myself I cannot remember all of this and that’s not all of it either. You need to remember to put your keywords in an ALT tag for an image, you need to have internal links to other pages, you need to have a keyword in the last line and the first line of your post, and more.
It is hard enough for me to develop good content without having to do all the technical stuff as well. SEOpressor will score your post and tell you what is wrong with it. This means less thinking on your part and more concentration on great content.
See the screen shot below. It shows the score of a post that I have completed. I thought that it was correctly search engine optimized, however this plug-in shows that it is not. Also SEOPressor got an overhaul this year so see my new SEOpressor V5 Review [Video]" href="http://letsbuildwebsites.com/seopressor-review/">SEOPressor review.
From this score I can clearly see that some extra work needs to be done to my post to make it search engine friendly. There is no guessing at this stage, the plug-in has told me what I need to do.
Why I am using Scribe SEO Plugin for SEO?
I am now using both SEOPressor and Scribe for my search engine optimization as you will see in the video. Scribe is an amazing plugin that makes SEO easier for me and saves a load of time. I optimize with SEOpressor and then use Scribe for the finishing touches and ultimate SEO.
Scribe is actually very cheap considering it really brings in the great results.
Notes about the top 10 Onpage SEO techniques:
- Please do not ignore on page search engine optimization as it is part of the whole system of success.
- You can experiment with on page SEO by going to an old successful post and optimizing it now. You will notice that it will get increased traffic even if it is a few years old.
- If you do not understand my onpage SEO techniques, take a good look at this article as it follows these principles.
- Here is a FREE PDF report from Brian Clark from Copy Blogger called How to write compelling content for the search engines.
If your business is not ready to buy plug-ins or can’t afford to do so, I suggest you stick to my onpage SEO techniques listed above.