Top 5 tips on how to choose your website niche topic
Why make your decision on a website niche topic hit and miss? Why go to all the effort of making a website only to find that it is a flop? Hey but don’t panic, it’s not rocket science.
What are you passionate about and have some knowledge about?
- If you do not start a website about something you like, then it will become a choir to work on it. You want to feel good about making content for your website. I am sure that everyone can dominate a niche if they really wanted to. You must have confidence in yourself, there is no room for doubt. I previously wrote an article about whether you need passion for your WordPress website topic?
Focus your niche into a specialized area:
- If you like cars and renovate them in your spare time, make a website on the type of car you renovate. Be specific. Fro example my brother works on custom mainlines or Holden HG stationwagons. Making a website about just cars, renovating cars, or Fords and Holdens will not get you famous. You need to be more specific to be able to dominate your niche.
- You find that a niche is all about keywords and what people are searching for. Please see how to research a niche.
Research the niche and see what the competition is?
- If you go to www.google.comand see who comes up for the same keywords that you want to start for, loads of competition is not always a bad thing. If you dig deeper and investigate the websites ranking high for your keywords, you will most likely see that they are not that great after all. Sometimes you will visit all the top ranking websites and think to yourself “I can do better than that”. If you think this, then do not hesitate. Do not let figures and search results put you off.
- Others places to do research is using the google keywords tool. It will tell you how many searches a keyword gets.
See if there are any products to promote in this niche?
- Most webmasters have an ambition to make money and they might be lying if they said that wasn’t the case. There are many ways to make money and it can be overwhelming at first. Focus on a few ways only. Google Adsense is an easy option and can go on almost any website. Other options include Amazon affiliate, Ebay partner network, Commission junction, and loads more..
- If there are no products to sell you could create your own product. This is one option, the other is Google adsense.
Start three websites and see which one comes out on top. This is a great way to see if a website niche will work or not!
- After you have done this be prepared to drop the other two and concentrate on the main website. You could flip them. (Sell them on flipper.com)
- You could also outsource work for the other websites. All you have to do is register at elance.com or odesk.com and post a job there and people will apply for it.