- 5 Easy to Implement Conversion Rate Optimisation TipsPosted 3 days ago
- SEO Keyword Goal – Attract Customers NOT VisitorsPosted 86 days ago
- How To Add Amazon Affiliate Links Into a WordPress PostPosted 483 days ago
- Grabbing Those Extra Affiliate Sales – Earn Extra Money OnlinePosted 484 days ago
- How I Make Money Online With Worpdress Websites – Part 2Posted 519 days ago
- How I Make Money Online with WordPress WebsitesPosted 691 days ago
- Clickbank Affiliate Products that Provide Recurring IncomePosted 806 days ago
- How to Make Money Online in 2013?Posted 843 days ago
- Find a Product in Clickbank and Create an Affiliate HoplinkPosted 1218 days ago
WordPress Website Case Study From Zero to Seven Hundred Dollars
I know many people who visit this website either struggle to build WordPress websites or simply cannot make any money from this venture. There are many models you can follow when building a WordPress website, and for that matter you don’t even have to use WordPress if you don’t want to. (you must be crazy though )
You can build a WordPress website into a authority website, an e-commerce website, or even a niche website. Of course there are many more options. Either way, each website can become its own little business, earning you a decent amount of income.
So lets get down to it
If you know anything about me, I generally build authority websites that can go on for ever and ever. Sometimes this means that I pick a more general niche with probably huge competition, divide that niche by categories, and load the website with tons of content. (only great content though) I go for longtail, short tail, highly competitive keywords.
So this is how I make money online, but this is not all there is to my business. I also have many niche websites, review websites, product only websites, and so on.
Today I am going to openly show you a website that I created (or maybe my VA did) about six months ago. I am going to tell you the exact steps I took in making this website and how it has progressed so far.
I have to confess right now that this website is definitely not up to my standard OCD set up as I simply do not have time to fix it at the moment. However the reason I want to show everyone this website is because it is actually making money and it is nowhere near perfect. I want you to see all the good and all the bad and realize that you can do this too.
Here is the website: http://wordpresswebsitehost.com/ Don’t leave though! Take a quick look, see how ugly it is, and then come back!
Why did I start this website?
I was basically building a website to keep my VA busy and I had an idea about making a website that sold Web hosting. If you have never sold Web hosting before, it is one of the most highly paid affiliate products out there. For example if someone clicks on my Hostgator banner and buys even the smallest product, I get $100 commission for bringing them in the door. Not every website can just simply start selling Web hosting though. Trust me I have tried to sell it on some of my authority websites, but the audience needs to be targeted, so that never worked.
How did I start this WordPress website
- I searched for a domain name that had something to do with hosting. In my case I wanted to tie it in with my WordPress website group. When I started to research Web hosting, I realized that it was highly competitive niche and therefore I did not research keywords at all. I was not going to rely on search engine optimization to get me traffic in the beginning.
- I created a WordPress theme using Artisteer as I probably was not a member of Elegant themes at the time.. ( I will be changing the Theme later)
- I created a page for each hosting company that I wanted to promote. Please note that these are pages, not posts.
- I created a static front page with a table full of affiliate links and a link to see a full review of the product.
- I have researched some keywords to narrow down what categories I wanted for the articles.
- I installed a minimal amount of plug-ins, just enough to get me through. For example I installed Affiliatecamo to cloak affiliate links and get every article pointing back to a review page.
- I got 10 articles written about Web hosting and scheduled them to post one every four days.
- I relied on my VA at the time, to fill the product pages with reviews and affiliate links.
- I put a backlink on one of my PR 6 websites and possibly 2 others. That’s it for linkbuilding.
After all this I spent a few days editing mistakes and content, but never finishing to my standards. When you visit this website I do not expect criticism as I am showing this website in good faith. Of course it can be done better and it will be in time. I am totally open to suggestions though!
Potential Greatness Kept Knocking?
Unfortunately I lost interest after about a week and was often reminded that this website existed by seeing the odd $100 commission coming in. Believe it or not, this is exactly how this website started as well. I often say that I build websites and wait for the website to show me potential. This website you are reading right now, did exactly the same thing. It showed me potential.
The funny thing is that I still ignored the potential in this hosting website as I was just too busy, but then Google had a good old page rank update. I was awarded with a page rank 4 on this hosting website that I had left for dead. So there was another sign slapping me in the face.
Wake up Mitz!
Ok the PR 4 woke me up about the website. This led me to a little bit more promotion, and when I say little, I mean little. I added a link to the website in an article I wrote on my Tips4PC website and also answered a few Yahoo answers, of course leaving a link to the website. That’s it though.
Anyway I got paid $200 into my bank and was curious as to where it came from. I logged into my Commission Junction account for this website and noticed a balance of $700, $600 for August and $100 just outside. The $200 I had already been paid for was July earnings for this website which occurred before I had woken up with my second mini line of promotion. I rarely even go to Commission Junction as I really make all my earnings from Adsense, Clickbank, some individual affiliates, and now Amazon. All this was a surprise to me.
What caused this website to be so successful?
It is not successful yet but has the potential to be extremely successful! Obviously we can see that.
So what caused this website to be potentially successful?
Here are a few reasons I have thought of:
- The static front page is a complete affiliate table and there is not many other options on the page and less you scroll right down to the bottom of the website.
- If a visitor lands on an article on the website, links to the review pages are embedded into the articles. The articles themselves are not interlinked.
- The only outgoing links are to hosting affiliate websites and to this WordPress website.
- The articles that I have published are all original content. These have started to be picked up by the search engines and are getting a very small amount of traffic.
In the screenshot below I show you the settings I used to set my static front page. The first thing I did was create a page with no sidebars. Then I chose this page in the settings below.
What are my plans for this WordPress website?
- I thought about writing some guest posts for this website but have not even got around to it. When that happens that will definitely kick this website onto my earnings radar.
- I also thought about making a banner for it and buying some cheap advertising space on other blogs..Lets face it, $100 a sale can afford it.
- I will hopefully have time to answer a few more questions on Yahoo.
- I could also add a link into my authors bio on the websites that I already guest post on. This means that the link will automatically go want to all the posts that I have already published on other peoples blogs. Can you see the power in this?
- Schedule more articles to run and keep the blog flowing with fresh content.
- I thought this would be a small niche website, well kind of small, but it could turn out to be something bigger. This was not my intention.
Can you copy this?
Sure! Just remember that the domain name I chose really has no one searching for it. Therefore you can buy a domain name like these:
…that are available right now and then reproduce what I have done… Then start driving targeted traffic to the website. If you do use one of these domain names then please do your own checking to see if there are any searches for it….
Just remember that this is my WordPress website case study and I do not guarantee your success doing the same thing or offer personal help to anyone. Believe me, I know everyone needs help and it is impossible for me to do so. The best way I can help you is if you follow this blog.
WordPress Website Case Study Conclusion
Even if the Page Rank disappears on this website, it is extremely easy to drive some targeted traffic to it and still make sales. The page rank has nothing to do with the success of the website. It does not matter that I placed a link on one of my websites because I could have just as easily guest posted on someone else’s site to get a link.
This is what I call handing you a website example on a platter!
I am interested to hear your comments about this WordPress website Case study??